Sunday, October 11, 2009

How long will plantar faciitis stay in effect?

I'm playing soccer and got horrible cleats, so now my heel hurts bad and I think its plantar faciitis. How long will I have it for? I got shoes with better arch (turf shoes), insoles, Aleve, stretches, and I iced it and bandaged it. When will it go away? I have conditioning in two days!

How long will plantar faciitis stay in effect?
I'm not sure you have plantar faciitis. it is usually a long term problem. I'm had mine for years and it doesn't go away after years of stretching and working it correctly. It wouldn't come about just because you had a bad pair of shoes.
Reply:Sorry bud, but depending on how long you've had it, you could be in for a long healing period. But youth is on your side. I tried to ignore it and deal with it on my own for months, only to find, once I went to a podiatrist, that it was now chronic. (I live in the north, it was winter, and it was too cold to sit barefoot and ice it often.) However, if you go to a doc such as a podiatrist, if it's in an acute and not chronic stage, they may suggest cortisone injections, which can help. Stretching exercises, rolling your foot around on frozen veggies (in the bag!) and on tennis balls can help. Massage was helpful too, to stretch the fascia. Mine's much better, after physical therapy and injections, and I'm lucky I can wear good supportive athletic shoes even at work. I was lucky -- I only had one bad foot at a time, a few years apart. I don't know how anyone with plantar fasciitis on both feet does it!!!



flower

No comments:

Post a Comment