Sunday, March 14, 2010

I incurred a Tibial Plateau Fracture in Jan. 2008 -- how can I best learn to walk down stairs normally again?

My TPF was only 1mm depression fracture and the surgeon decided not to do anything to the tibial bone but only to shave the damaged articular cartilage. I've been off crutches now for about a month and can walk without a limp (I have an insole that I wear in the damaged leg to straighten the x formation). I am fairly athletic and train everyday by swimming or stationary bicycle or both. I cannot do stairs. Walking up the stairs without bending over is painful. Walking down the stairs I cannot do at all --- I can only handle down stairs by placing the bad foot on the step first followed by the good foot. I also can't do quad strengthening exercises on the machine or do squats since they're too painful on the knee.... so I use rubber bands instead for resistance or lift by lying down and putting the good leg on the bad leg and trying to lift only with the bad leg. If I try to take the down stairs normally my hip on the bad leg extends all the way out and I'm afraid of more damage.

I incurred a Tibial Plateau Fracture in Jan. 2008 -- how can I best learn to walk down stairs normally again?
Hi Rita


Try this website. It's a site for people with broken legs. There's lots of people with TPF's on there. Its a great support group, and someone can always answer any questions you might have.





mybrokenleg.com



cat skin problem

No comments:

Post a Comment